M. B. HOUPT'S DEATH
Died in New York City Where He was Engaged in Business Since Leaving Wilkes-Barre - Had Extensive Building and Contracting Interests - Prominent in Masonic Circles
Missouri B. Houpt, a former well known resident of this city, who removed to New York about two years ago, died at his home there yesterday morning. Deceased was a leading architect, contractor and builder in this city for a number of years and built many of our substantial residences and churches, which stand as monuments to his ability and thoroughness.
Deceased's parents were Philip and Susan (Arnt) Houpt, both of whom were born in Northumberland County, this State. They were married in 1815 and the deceased was the youngest of a family of ten children.
M. B. Houpt was born in Newport, Luzerne County, Feb. 17, 1839 and was 64 years old. He removed with his parents to Wilkes-Barre in 1849 and resided here until two years ago, when he went into business in New York. He was educated in the common schools of this city and at Wyoming Seminary and at his graduation took a four year course as an architect and builder in New York City.
Upon his return here he entered into that business and was very successful. He built and equipped the planing mill at Union and North Canal streets. This did not prove a success and shortly afterwards Mr. Houpt removed to New York and engaged in business. He was also senior member of the firm of Houpt, Frantz & Cook, painters and paper hangers of this city and was engaged in various other enterprises as auxillary to his general business.
Mr. Houpt was married to Sallie Garringer on March 28, 1865 and two sons were born to them - Harry S. and Missouri B., Jr. both of whom survive. Mrs. Houpt died about five years ago. Deceased was liberal to public and private charities, and was prominent in Masonic circles, being a past master of Lodge 62 of this city. He was also a member of Lodge 109, B. P. O. E.
The remains will be brought to this city and the funeral will take place from the residence Anning Dilley on West Ross street.
The Wilkes-Barre Record - February 12, 1903